About McGilvras

 
Welcome to Madison Park's Irish Pub & Restaurant.  Our hope is to give locals, visitors and families alike, a fun place to get a good meal at a good price.  With our four flat screen TVs showing games there is the pub feel and the full bar serving wine, beer and liquor. Our menu includes standard pub fare; salads, sandwiches, pizzas and a growing entree list.  We look forward to seeing you all down on the patio for a sunny day!
John McGilvra
The city of Seattle was founded in the 1850s. Judge John J. McGilvra, the area’s first developer, purchased
land and cut a road running in a straight line through the forest from downtown Seattle to Madison Park.

Throughout the 1860s he acquired 420 acres of land at Madison Park, the first Euro American to do so.
Today his road is known as Madison Street. It was named after U.S. President James Madison, and
is the only direct route in Seattle from salt water (Puget Sound) to fresh water (Lake Washington).

McGilvra built “Laurel Shade”, his family home at 1500 42nd Avenue N, and until 1880, the McGilvras
were the only residents of Madison Park. This impelled McGilvra to plat most of his property for
sale, stipulating that only “cottages” could be built on the lots. He set aside 24 acres for public use,
hence the name Madison Park. It quickly became a favorite picnic and recreation area.

McGilvra is remembered today in the names of Seattle’s McGilvra elementary school, McGilvra
Boulevard….. and of course McGilvra’s Irish Pub & Restaurant.